11.4.10

The day the world got a pimple...


WOULD YOU LOOK AT THIS MASTERPIECE?!
Maybe I should install a paypal button on this thing, and one by one, y'all could just plunk a $20, and soon enough - it'd be miiinnneeee....WHADDAYASAY?!?!?

At work yesterday, not one, but TWO people complimented on my "beautiful skin tone," and how they wish they had been blessed with a babies bum for a face.
Although I was flattered, and blown away that I'd fooled at least two people, bright and early on a Saturday - I couldn't help but think back to the HOURS I used to sit in the dermatologist's waiting room, as a teenager with the mess that was my face.
I had HORRIBLE (AND I'M NOT JUST SAYIN' HORRIBLE FOR THE SAKE OF SOUNDING DRAMATIC) skin.
Luckily, my parents took note of my red, irritated face, and signed me up for the outdoorsmen's worst enemy - acutane.
Every chance I could get, I loved being outside. Riding horses, evading housework - you name it, I WAS OUTSIDE!
But the moment I started taking acutane, if I were to be outside for more than 20 minutes, it meant being remarkably sunburned for the next week or so.
Now thankfully, I didn't suffer from any of the other side effects they warn you about. The big one being depression.
But when you ask a 17 year tomboy to trade in her t-shirt and shorts, for something a bit more Grey Gardens - I WAS PISSED.

But that isn't the worst of it all.

Picture this if you will:
Less than a month to go of your last year as a high school student.
Pretty sweet, huh? I bet you're looking forward to P-R-O-M!!!!!!!!
An idea popped into my mom's head the afternoon before prom.
"Wouldn't Alexis' self-confidence benefit from a having her eyebrows waxed before heading off for the most important evening of her young life??"
I went along with it.
Sitting in the esthetician's chair, I wasn't all that nervous.
She applied the hot wax, and prepped me for the dull pain that was to follow.
"1-2-3....OOHHHH MYYYY GGAAAWWWDDDDDDDDD"

Turns out that waxing isn't such a great idea when you're on acutane, as your skin isn't all that strong from all the weird shit being deposited into your body.
So off came about 4 layers of eyebrow skin, and I had everyone at the salon looking in my direction.
"Wow...I must look pretty hot - everyone is FLIPPING OUT over my eyebrows!!!"
Perhaps it was the blood that was accummulating just above my eyes.
It wasn't until I looked at the esthetician that I knew something was up.
"ARE YOU ON ANY KIND OF MEDICATION, HONEY!!?!?!?" she shouted.
"Oh, you know...just acutane"
LESSON LEARNED.
Needless to say, prom sucked.
All the concealer, and foundation in the world couldn't cover the fresh wounds I know had above each eye.
I considered wearing sunglasses, but realized I wasn't cool enough to make it seem like I was just trying to be different.

IMMABETAKINTHOSECOMPLIMENTARYSKINTONECOMMENTSNOWTHANKYOU!!!

No comments: