29.12.11

**DISCLAIMER**
This post is kind of a bummer, but it's been floating around in my mind for a while, so I won't be offended if you're not a fan of my opinions

After reading this article on why culture is more often bound to thrive in an urban setting, it got me thinking as to why I live in Toronto.

It's invigorating to live in the same city as some of the most creative and inspiring individuals, but it's also infuriating to have to put up with some of the egos that're associated with their grandeur.

I was drawn downtown for several reasons:

a) it's proximity to where I grew up, which gave me a huge sense of security
b) being able to befriend like-minded people with similar interests and goals

I was awe struck for my first few years as a Toronto resident.

I found myself going out 6 nights a week, having dinner with friends at 3 in the morning, biking home totally wasted (an activity no longer endorsed by PIZZA LUVR), and experiencing cultural events that wouldn't have been available to me otherwise.

But soon enough, the magic started to wear off, and I started to become aware of how selfish some people were.

It's a great feeling to know as many people in a city as humanly possible, but I've learned that friendship means different things to different people:

- I've attended "dance parties" with the sole purpose of the event being to pay the host's rent

- I've had to justify leaving weekday events "BUT IT'S NOT EVEN LAST CALL!" because of having to work the next morning - who knew that having a full-time office job (with a penchant for 8 hours of sleep a night) would make you such a social leper?

- Trying to forge relationships with individuals who live non-committal, 100% unreliable lifestyles

To those that've experienced me in a social setting, you're aware that I can come across as a bit of a bitch - and it's because I don't know how to read most people.

I've distanced myself from certain friends over the years, and I've given everything I can to hold onto others.

There are still parts of Toronto that I absolutely adore, and I'll continue to live in the city (until our mayor inevitably blows it up) - but it's interesting to see how my agenda has changed.

I apologize for the serious words, and to regain my credibility as a blogger, please read this article about the elusive butt slasher (presumably roaming around America - WATCH OUT U.S.A.)

(photo c/o www.mileanhour.com)

1 comment:

annie said...

how bout a friendly 'OH! YOU CAN GET INTO THAT SUPER EXCLUSIVE PARTY?! I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN FOREEEEVER, WE SHOULD GO!' followed by my 'yeah, my friend won tickets so yes, but not in the I'M RAD way' followed by a most lukewarm enthusiasm but of course a '... well let's still go' ending.

Industry folk, so real!